The mental processes people rely on to self regulate. The executive functions enable a person to control their thoughts, words, actions and emotions. They also assist them to perceive and manage time, and to direct and manage their behaviour over time.
In ADHD brains the prefrontal cortex, the part of the brain that controls executive function, develops 30% slower, this translates to being about 3-6 years behind Neurotypical brains. Even once it has fully developed it is still impaired.
- Stops you from making circumstantially offensive decisions.
- Stop you from making choices that interfere with your goals.
- Is for the short term storage and manipulation of information.
- Is the ability to switch back and forward between different tasks.
- Makes you want things as soon as possible which results in preference for small immediate over large delayed rewards.
- Helps us to sustain or shift attention in response to different demands or to apply different rules in different settings.